Monday, June 3, 2013

THREE QUESTIONS FOR JEFFREY SALANE

JEFFREY SALANE
Lawless

What made you choose M for your hero?

It all goes back to space camp…or at least a conversation about space camp with a friend of mine. She was explaining how the space shuttle simulator worked and I suddenly spouted out, “Wow, can you imagine if you accidentally boarded the wrong simulator and were actually in a space shuttle and launched into space?” Well, that night, I started thinking about a story where a character is shot into space, metaphorically, where they would be not just a fish out of water, but a fish out of atmosphere. Enter M. And I’m not sure at this point that I would call M a hero. She’s more of an antihero who’s still figuring herself out. And that’s what drew me to her, the journey she has is a lot like the journey we all have before us in that she’s figuring out the person she is and the person she wants to be.
What do you have in common with M?
Unfortunately, not too much.  Hmmm, we both have brown hair, does that count?  Seriously though, M is a character who doesn’t hesitate to push the envelope and that’s what I love about her. I’ve never been a leap first look later lad. Of course, as you will read in the book, some envelopes need to be read before haphazardly pushing them and this is what she starts to learn as the story evolves. But I think it’s everything that I don’t have in common with M that keeps me so invested in her adventures.
When you were a kid, who was your favorite mystery detective?
Sherlock Holmes.  There is no other in my mind…maybe save Watson. 
And for my favorite criminal mastermind, well, it would 
 have to be Moriarty. 

No comments: