Monday, December 30, 2013

THE NEW YEAR "COME-TH"

THE NEW YEAR "COME-TH"


    It's that time of year when I ponder my goals for the upcoming year. I've done it most of my life. It helps keep me focused on the things that are important to me. Unlike a lot of people, my yearly resolutions don't set me up for failure. They set me up for success because I don't list ridiculous goals that are doomed to fail. I list the things I actually want to do.
     Here's my recipe for writing New Year's Resolutions:

1. I look at my life, my time, and what I can reasonably accomplish in 365 days.

2. I divide my resolutions into categories.


     PERSONAL    
    The things I list are based on effort and attitude. Under personal I may plan to be more positive, read my Bible daily, or walk 4 days a week.  I don't say I'm going to lose twenty pounds, although I'd like to. Or read the Bible through five times in the year. Or win Miss Congeniality.

WRITING
    I'm more specific in my writing goals. I list the projects I want to finish, but I tell myself it's okay to substitute a new story for a planned one. AND of course one goal will be to maintain this blog.        


WORK
    My husband and I own a small business, so there are always things that can be streamlined and made better.  I choose only one biggie thing to work on, because there's usually enough little-ies to keep me busy.

3. I add a 4th category called WISHES & PRAYERS. This is where I get to list all the fantastic things I'd like to see happen that are outside my control. Like having my books make The New York Times Best Seller List, where I lose the twenty-five+ pounds and win the lottery.

   Now this is written, it's time for me to work on my resolutions. I have 2 days until 2014 rolls around.
    


No comments: